Thursday, March 17, 2011

VF and Proust

First of all, I must thank my two 'followers' - Fleming and Jules, you both rock!

Additionally, THE Francesca of the La Cucina Francesca blog (plugged earlier this month) links to my blog from hers.

Other regular readers include my dad and the boyfriend! I can feel the love in the blogosphere.

I have been an avid reader of Vanity Fair Magazine since my mom bought a subscription in my sister's magazine drive sophomore year of college. Mom would mail me her gently read issues when I lived in Norwich junior year, and then in London for my masters. A good friend subscribed me for Christmas the year after, and I keep re-subscribing myself. It is SUCH a good read, with fashion, politics, movie-star bedazzlement, finance, and everything in between. My very favorite VF contributor, Dominic Dunne, has sadly left this world, I'm still loving Christopher Hitchins, Annie Leibowitz and the rest of the gang.

At the end of every VF they give the Proust Questionairre, a set of questions Marcel Proust gave to guests at dinner parties, to a random celebrity. They're very thought-provoking questions. I have never actually sat down and filled it out, so I thought it would be fun to post my answers, and to invite my readers to do the same.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Sitting on the beach on a perfect sunny day with Mom and Blythe and the girls, while the Rev and Brian (and the boys) smoke cigars and have a portable tv with the Red Sox Game playing in the background.
What is your greatest fear?
See post "the fear" for explanation - vomit, spiral staircases, revolving doors.
What historical figure do you most identify with?
The hippies
Which living person do you most admire?
The Egyptian people
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Klutziness. And I can be a little too trusting of new people.
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Outright rudeness. Get off your cell phone while paying at a store. Give your seat to the elderly or pregnant person standing right in front of you. Use your darn manners already!
What is your greatest extravagance?
J.Crew flip flops. There is no other place I would rather buy them, and I know they are so much cheaper everywhere else. But J.Crew's are simply the best. And candy, because it serves absolutely no nutritional purpose.
On what occasion do you lie?
When I am instructed to by intimidating supervisors (NOT anyone at my current places of employment). Over 3 years in sales have taught me how to be honest without hurting feelings.
What do you most dislike about your appearance?
My face in photographs. I am not photogenic. The camera adds ten pounds to my face alone.
When and where were you happiest?
I sincerely hope that my happiest moment has not yet come to pass. Some of the top ones were: becoming a sister, going Theta, re-friending Tallo, and B.
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd be a little less of a push-over.
If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
That they all lived in or near Boston.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My business idea (it WILL happen!) And moving to London not knowing anyone.
If you died and came back as a person or thing, what would it be?
Ideally? A dog. They seem so carefree.
What is your most treasured possession?
This seems so obvious, but my loved ones. Everything else is somewhat replaceable.
What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
3 AM, in the bathroom, mid stomach bug.
Who are your heroes in real life?
Hero is such an overused word, and I think that overuse has cheapened it. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who are choosing to serve others - defending the country, teaching the country, protecting it from crimes and fires, serving meals, representing in local government.
What is it that you most dislike?
Sweet pickles. And needing the bathroom when there is a mile-long line.
How would you like to die?
Happy.
What is your motto?
Try to be kind to everyone, whether they deserve it or not.

Comment or email me with yours! I'm very interested in everyone's answers!

1 comment:

Ups With Downs said...

I follow your blog, too! In fact, you have inspired me to begin my own...once work calms down :) xoxo