Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Does this mean I'm... old?

I have recently written recommendations for two people - one an advisee (I serve as an adviser for a local chapter of the sorority I was in during college) and one a co-worker, who I just happened to supervise.

It occurred to me that I wrote two recommendations at this time last year, both for advisees for scholarships they applied for. I've also been popping up on peoples' reference lists.

Does this new aspect of my life mean I'm old?

I know what you're thinking, blogosphere. Late 20s does not an old lady make, but it becomes an interesting point in time in one's life when one is asked to write recommendations and give references. Every person who has asked me for either I am fully delighted to recommend. They are responsible women (no men in sororities, and few at the shop!) who contribute to their sorority and their shop. But I think the youngest person I have ever asked to recommend me was still ten years older than I am, whereas I'm on the reference list of someone 2 months my senior! The rest of the people on my reference list have been adults for quite a bit longer than I have been; they have careers, kids, mortgages and cars. I have a teeny apartment where mice hold hip-hop parties at night and sirens screech by at early hours of the morning. I'm not even responsible for a pet!

I was hustled into a very supervisory role at the jewelry store - they needed an assistant manager for the new shop, I was slightly unemployed and eager for full time hours and health insurance. The people the shop attracts as employees are inherently awesome, fun, responsible and sometimes just downright silly. Now that I just work there a few hours on weekends, I've been able to really let loose with these people. When I was Assistant Manager, there were lines I tried not to cross, although inadvertently I did, with the help of margaritas or Andre.

I guess I just haven't yet thought of myself as someone able to recommend another's work, or as an authority figure. This new development makes me feel much better about my accomplishments, especially in light of Justin Bieber's cult following at the age of 16 and Daniel Radcliffe's 8 film franchise plus Broadway stardom at age 21. Hey! I'm on my way!

No comments: