Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If only I were Harry Potter....

I am mildly obsessed with the Harry Potter series. I wouldn't go so far as to name my first born daughter Hermione or anything, but I can definitely watch the movies with my boyfriend and fill in the missing details; explaining what the plot couldn't handle in a 2 hour and 30 minute time slot. Magic would definitely be convenient, and I sometimes expect that there is a wizarding world among us. I sometimes wonder if an onslaught of natural disasters is Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters wreaking havoc on unsuspecting muggles.

But what would I do if I had magic? So glad you asked, dear readers!

- Create a potion that, when taken 30 minutes before a meal, prevents any calories from being absorbed.

- Charm my skirts to stay down on windy days (has anyone ever crossed the Mass Ave bridge in a non-pencil skirt? Treacherous! The whole world sees your underoos!)

- The ability to find lost things. Or really, just the 'accio' charm, ordering the lost things to come to me. The minutes I spend looking through my bag every day would be drastically reduced.

- Like Mrs. Weasley, I would charm my cleaning implements to clean my apartment.

- I'd totes try to find an invisibility cloak. I know, there are very very few in the world, and Harry's was a very old family heirloom, but the ability to throw it over my shoulders when I am about to run into someone I definitely do not want to talk to would be priceless.

- Apparation (teleportation for those less familiar with Potter-speak). I would save so much money on transport costs. I could visit my sister in Australia for the weekend!

- Flying on a broom would be equally cool. Wizards cannot actually make themselves fly the way people dream of flying, but brooms are almost as good. You'd just need a warm pair of gloves to make sure your hands stayed warm on chilly days.

- I'd love to be able to selectively erase my memory. There are so many embarrassing moments in life that I just wish I could forget, so many books I wish I could read again for the first time (like Harry Potter, oddly enough). Just *ZAP* and, hey! The Help? Shantaram? No, I've never read either of those books. Are they as awesome as they sound? I hope so!--

- Who wouldn't want a magic tent? A tent that has a full kitchen, bathroom and several beds plus a living area? Its a regular apartment, but externally the size of a small tent. Give them all to the homeless and keep them from dying from the cold!

I'm sure I can think of more, but this is the best I can do at 10:25 PM... Good night!

No comments: