Monday, April 25, 2011

Office Calisthenics

I have some pretty cool co-workers.

When I first left Zinnia, I was really scared that no one I ever worked with would ever live up to the Zinnia girls. These people, while not as close of friends with me as the ZGs, are still pretty hip.

Today, one co-worker emailed us this article:http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490/sitting-all-day-worse-for-you-than-you-might-think

One of my other fears when I left Zinnia (full time, that is) was that the sedentary office life would be too much for me to deal with after almost three years of working on my feet all day every day. And in a way it has - I definitely make much more of an effort to make sure I go to the gym AND walk to work as much as I can, and will have to continue that through the summer. But for NPR to tell me that's not enough? Kinda depressing.

However, my super-awesome new co-workers have something else going for us. They're all scientists and physicists and good at this sort of thing, and have been making paper airplanes (COOL paper airplanes) and flying them around the office. So when this article came to our attention, we rejoiced, since it pretty much justifies paper airplane time.

Today we also experimented with other forms of movement. I started doing lunges throughout the office. Our web designer jumped. One of the researchers did handstands. And so we did five minutes of office calisthenics. And perhaps the next time we have a staff meeting, we will each do our calisthenic walks to the meeting place around our office coffee table - lunges, leaps, handstands... Maybe a forward roll or bunny hop in the mix.

With this crazy bunch, you never know!

No comments: