Sunday, April 3, 2011

Home envy


Ever since I moved to the Boston area, I have had home envy of a lot of people - the MIT and Harvard dorms overlooking the river, the Back Bay brownstones, the modern, airy lofts in the South End (Joe and Mindy's apartment in Southie...)

But that envy pales in comparison to what I feel about one particular building on Beacon Street in Brookline -number 1514, called 'Stoneholme'.

I mean, what is this building doing in Massachusetts? It belongs in Paris.



I have taken great interest in Stoneholme and its inhabitants. I often check out their cars, to see if it is the home of ridiculous millionaires with sweet cars. The parking lot has Mercedes, Audis, and BMWs... But there are also Hondas and Toyotas (new models, but still not luxury!)

I try to peer into the windows, which is difficult from the sidewalk and I'm not about to walk up the hallowed stairs to try to get in. My mom taught me better manners than that!

I sometimes wonder if it has a tragic story attached to it. Maybe if it is haunted the property is worth less and we can purchase an apartment in it some day. I can handle ghosts, you just have to make friends with them.

Or maybe there is a super long waiting list to be able to buy or rent an apartment in there, and its such a gorgeously popular building that people secretly commit murder to be able to live there.

So if anyone is in cyberspace looking for someone to bequeath their fortune to (like the Nigerian billionaires who constantly email my work account) - this is what I would spend it on. Quite a worthy cause, I should think!

No comments: