Friday, April 22, 2011

Ode to Mini Eggs

If my life in the UK taught me one thing, it taught me this:
European candy is WAY better than its mass marketed US counterpart.

Apologies to Hershey's (especially considering that technically they are my long-lost relatives somehow). But they just cannot compete, especially with my love, Cadbury.

(Yes, I know that Hershey's now distributes Cadbury chocolate in the US.)

The Cadbury Dairy Milk bar is a thing of pure, unadulterated joy. Solid creamy milk chocolate without that chemically taste I find pervades Hershey (especially Kisses. They taste like poo. Literally.) Maynard's Wine Gums, and Sour Wine Gums, are superior to regular old gummies in every way, especially the red flavor (which is a much richer red taste than American Red) and the purple colored gum, which is black currant. What this country needs now is more black currant!

But hands down, my absolute favorite chocolate in the world (maybe tied with Hazelnut Ferraro Rocher) is the Cadbury Mini Egg. NOT the Cream Egg, there is a little bit too much cream in there, but the candy shell with milk chocolate middle Mini Egg. Candy shell thick enough to bite off and chew separately, chocolate in the center all creamy goodness, no added gunk.

Sadly, this girl can only get Mini Eggs during the Easter season (which fortunately for me begins in February at CVS.) The bags never last long in my presence, even the super sized ones. I'm always tempted to buy out CVS the day after Easter and hide them from myself around the apartment, like an extended Easter Egg hunt that lasts for months... except there aren't many hiding places in my apartment, especially from myself.

I suppose it is better that I can only get these delectable morsels a few months out of the year, or I would turn into a not-so-Mini Egg.

And so I enjoy these last few days of Mini Egg availability. I know I will purchase at least one more bag before they disappear for another ten months (sadness and despair, I know.) But I shall miss my Cadbury Mini Eggs.

Happy Easter and Great Passover to you, dear readers. Do the bunny hop!

No comments: