Friday, April 29, 2011

Everyone loves a wedding!

So, every blogger right now is giving their two cents about the Royal Wedding. I'm no different. Sorry if you don't care - then don't read on because I'm about to go ga-ga in a big way.

Kate Middleton just finished the dream that so many little girls have - a normal person just turned into a princess, and did so with grace and poise that you would have thought she had been trained to do this her whole life.

Her gown was gorgeous - not over the top by any means, just feminine and elegant. Pippa, the maid of honor, looked stunning as well (and in white! Who says the bride is the only one allowed to wear white??)

What I loved:
1. Her hair was down. So many people opt for up-dos, but when it comes down to it I know most dudes love their beloveds' hair flowing and down. Kudos to Kate.
2. She did her own makeup. Not even a Princess needs a team of pros to make her look good. She looked clean and natural, and while I'm sure she'll be touching up throughout the day, she could not have looked more flawless.
3. They were nervous - like any bride and groom, bot Will and Kate looked happy but a tad bit anxious. And who wouldn't be with millions watching and Joan Rivers critiquing. She was so nervous, in fact, that her fingers swelled just enough to give Will trouble putting her ring on. Which, btw, was simple and tasteful.
4. Hats, fascinators, and headpieces, oh my! I predict this is going to be huge in both the wedding and fashion circuit for at least the next year. I know some of them looked ridiculous (and a few looked almost Dr. Seuss-esque) but how creative! Milliners and haberdashers have the best jobs ever. I know I want a fancy hat for everyday wear.

After all, everyone loves a wedding. I've been loving weddings for as long as I can remember. I blame my mother, who would sneak me (and then me and my sister) into the balcony of Dad's church in order to get the best view of any wedding my father happened to officiate. So, if you were married at the Bridgewater Congregational Church (Connecticut) between, say, 1985 and 2000, I probably saw the ceremony. And judged the bride's dress, the bridesmaid dresses, and the flowers. And I can guarantee that as a 2 to 17 year old, I loved it all. Plus, I had the added bonus of sometimes being INVITED to the wedding. I wore pretty dresses, danced the day/night away, and may have even concocted really weird soda combinations to keep myself entertained. Maybe I awkwardly asked a cute boy to dance (and was turned down usually). Maybe a few friends of mine were there and we chased each other around and put ice down the backs of our shirts. Heck, with one family in particular, my father married 4 of 5 sisters, played violin at the 5th sisters' wedding, AND married the mother. And I attended the vast majority of those weddings.

So yes, I love a good wedding. And why not? They're so fun. Good (or at least free!) food, flowing beverages, music, dancing, laughter, family, friends.

With love and happiness for all!

No comments: