Friday, April 15, 2011

Desks

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I heart Vanity Fair. They do this 'My Desk' piece of the desks of different famous people (from movie directors to J.Crew's main designer.) I thought I would take a stab at it this Friday afternoon (while my co-workers are hard at work... shooting paper airplanes. Its ok, though, they're physicists).

- Fun note pads for phone messages - bright blue post-it, pink and flowery
- Old travel coffee mug turned pen container (insert your own picture kind with a painting courtesy of ex-roomies' very young pupils)
- Trader Joe's Spa Lavender Hand and Body Lotion
- Squishy stress ball brain, lifted from MIT display table
- Taza Earl Grey Tea (I'm convinced it has the same aftertaste as fruit loops)
- Craisins
- Photo of Lil Sistah and me circa 1992 in front of Stonehenge (ages 2 and 9 respectively) Pretty sure I'm in one of my favorite outfits, denim skirt with a bright pink sleeveless mock turtleneck, signature headband
- Postcard from Arabic calligraphy art exhibition at the British Museum (summer of 2006)
- Ridiculously huge binders programs I am running: NECSI Summer School (June 13-24) and ICCS (June 26-July 1. No you will not be hearing from me in June.)
- 3 hole punch (for said binders)
- Craisins (better for you than sour gummies!)
- Pile of business cards
- Happy Purim note that came attached to hammentashen (delish) from boss and his family
- Chocolate foil wrapper, pink in color, made into the shape of a heart by a co-worker (who does not have romantic feelings for me)
- Water bottle (re-useable, the cooler is literally three feet from my desk)
- Re-useable coffee mug
- Paper clip holder with paper clips, rubber bands, hair ties, lip gloss, hair barrett
- Paper cup full of spent AA batteries. I swear some day I will take them to Whole Foods for the battery recycling bin. Promise.
- To do list (written in purple ink, crossed out with red squiggles when task is completed.)
- Extra polarice gum (only gum I chew)
- Old Alieve pill container that now holds CVS brand ibuprofen. That container was in my mother's purse since I can remember needing ibuprofen, and she gave it to me when I moved to the UK (junior year, I believe).
- Manila file organizer, with more active files towardst he front.
- Pink ribbon tied around desk lamp with a cupcake pin from AT
- USB stick with rubber duckie key ring attached
- Best for last - the baseball I nabbed from the stands during batting practice before a Red Sox game (last summer. awesome. may or may not have beaten out a six year old in my sprint to grab it. In my defense, 6 year old already caught a few. Spread the wealth kid)

Maybe I don't have an autographed Beatles' record or a first print copy of Catcher in the Rye, or whatever else famous people have. But that's ok. I still somehow manage to be productive. I am missing one vital piece, though - I need a pic of B to prove to my co-workers once and for all that he is not invisible (a misconception since they have not yet met him).

Happy Friday! Don't forget to finish your taxes! (ugh)

No comments: