Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Refresh

Boston went from pseudo-winter to summer in 2.5 seconds recently, and I have to say I'm ok with it.  You all know my feelings on sunshine, after all.  I also love warm temperatures and outfits that include JUST a dress (and maybe a cardigan or pashmina for warmth while in the air conditioned office.)

Summer also reminds me to stay refreshed and hydrated, especially on my long "walkabouts", as B calls them.
Having been warned again and again about the added sugar and empty calories in soda, we figure-conscious females need to turn to unsweetened, or sugar-free drinks for refreshment.  I admit, I have a few faves:

1. Au Bon Pain Iced Tea
They have it unsweetened and sweetened peach tea.  Sometimes I do unsweetened, with a lemon.  If I'm feeling like a little treat, I do half unsweetened and half peach (because the total amount with peach, or any other iced tea with sugar, makes my teeth grow hair.)
 Dunkin Donuts also has iced tea, but I never find a franchise that carries lemons, and lemon in my brewed iced tea is a must... I blame Mimi, my maternal grandmother.  She used to visit us in summers and make iced tea, throwing a bunch of tea bags into a glass jug of water and leaving it in the sun to steep.
2. Snapple Diet Lemon or Peach Iced Tea
Equally good, if a little sweeter than the DIY at ABP.  
3. Crystal Lite Lemonade packets.
The beauty of Crystal Lite is you can add as much or as little of the powder as you please.  I definitely should invest in some to bring to work to give my water some flair.
Summer is also a wonderful time for the refreshing cool adult beverages we so love.  While I have recently gone on a St. Germaine Elderflower kick, I do mix it up, especially in the summer when bartenders use the clear and lightly tinted booze (rather than the heavy browns and reds during the winter.)

1. The Mojito
I fell in love with the Brazilian beverage while living in London, at a Brazilian bar called Cafe Kick.  A particularly attractive male bartender with long dreads and forearms to die for made the best ones, and many a night was begun at Cafe Kick... especially in the summer, when we could spill out into the sidewalk.  London does NOT have open container laws.  (Dear Boston, please take note and repeal a few choice Puritanical blue laws.)

2. The Margarita
So much more than tequila and sour mix.  I'm afraid I was forever spoiled because the first time I consumed this beverage was at Zavala (owned by the family of Lil' Hoot).  No cheesy pants frozen margs here, they made everything by hand, and showed me that the original recipe with lime is not the only way to go (Hibiscus Margarita, anyone?)  I have yet to visit the newer restaurant, Milagro, but Mom tells me its awesome as well.

3. Pimm's Cup

4. White Sangria
Because red wine gives me instant-hangover.  Not even kidding.  I had a half glass on an afternoon lunch 'date' and had to sleep it off for two hours afterwards.


So while I sit in my windowless office, I dream of roof decks and patio drinks and umbrellas in my cup (oooo good wedding idea, write that down!)

No comments: