Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sun Worship

This winter, every morning that I tromped through snow and slush in 5745452 layers of clothing to the gym, I reminded myself that in a few short (LONG) months, I would be walking to the gym in my gym clothing only - shorts, tank, sports bra, sneakers.

Today, that happened.
Spring in Boston is a fickle creature.  It gives us so much rain and gray, and right when we are about to snap we are rewarded with sunshine day.  Thank goodness.  Last week when it literally was gray and rainy for a week straight, even me, little miss optimistic, started feeling down.

You see, the females of my family are sun-worshipers.
(This is not to get us in trouble - we are a pastor's family and hold beliefs that are parallel with our faith.)

But when summer rolls around, we do whatever we can to be out of doors, in the sun.  15 minutes here, an hour there, whatever it takes.  We take walks on the sunny side of the street.  We read our books on blankets in parks.  And don't even get us started on the beach.  We are beach babes through and through.
I advocate for more sun time for all.  Office work can get to a girl who worships the sun - especially one whose work is tied to a computer and answering the phone.  Although I often joke about forwarding calls to my cell phone so I can work outside, there is a bit of truth to that wish.

My workplace is near a building with a rooftop garden.  An oasis of sunshine in an area of offices and coffee shops, this well-kept secret becomes rather crowded during lunch time.  It even has its own Yelp! page (four and a half stars, not too shabby).  My co-workers and I are so happy when we go up to the rooftop garden during lunch time.  They're academics and researchers, and sometimes have to read pretty heavy articles.  I'm positive many of them will take advantage of good weather this summer and read outside this summer.  Lucky ducks.
Now, please don't take my sun manifesto too much to heart.  I know the risks of skin cancer and would never advocate sun time without a proper SPF, and sunglasses (accessories that, while necessary, can also be cute!)

I know I am very much looking forward to my Sunday river/sun walk with AT, author of La Cucina Francesca!  Make sure you all get out of doors this weekend as well!

No comments: