Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bravo, Bravo.

We all have a reality TV habit (or many of us do).  Even B admits to enjoying the occasional show regarding residents of a coastal town in New Jersey.  But in my humble opinion, no one does reality right now better than Bravo.

MTV \started it all with The Real World, and did so spectacularly.  I cannot tell you how many illicit episodes I watched in high school.  I'm sure that if my parents had known the content, they would have put a stop to it.  I just loved knowing that these were real people with real problems, causing some real drama.  I even wanted to BE on the Real World.  I had my role all planned out, the small town girl who was nice to anyone.

Silly me, I went to college instead.
Fast forward a few years without a heck of a lot of TV access (two separate years in the UK will do that to you) and suddenly the reality craze sweeps the nation.

I have to say it.  I love the Real Housewives of just about anywhere.  I finally caught up with NY and NJ tonight after a rather long day at the office, and am now feeling refreshed and ready to read the blogs and dish about them with my friends.  I try not to judge TOO hard.  After all, I don't know these women.  They don't know me.  They don't tell me their life stories, their hopes, dreams and aspirations.  But that's the thing about reality TV, more so than other shows or movies.  We really feel like we know them.
Being real people too, not celebrities (although they quickly turn into celebs - hello, Bethenny Frankel) we can connect with them on a different level.  This isn't a thirty minute scripted program (ok, it kind of is), this is their real lives, with their husbands, kids, and dogs.  They buy Thanksgiving turkeys, they take their daughters to gymnastics, they take fab 2 week vacays to Morocco (waaaaaait a minute.)  We end up taking sides in their fights with each other.  Are you team Jill or Team Ramona?  Team Alex or Team Luann?  Team Theresa or Team Melissa?  Team Cedric or Team Jiggy?

Regardless of your affiliation, you have something to dish about with your girlfriends the next day, or whenever you manage to watch it on your DVR.
I must say, though, no show has gotten me so hooked as The Rachel Zoe Project.  I mean, what a business the woman runs.  She gets to go to fashion shows, snag looks and dresses, and outfit celebrities for the most important award shows of the year.  I didn't start watching until Season 2, but I'm totes hooked and looking forward to the premier on August 2.

So when perusing what else Bravo has to offer this summer, I came upon Fashion Hunters.  Done.  A show documenting the lives of the Second Time Around staff (not in Boston, but still my favorite store)? I'm so there.  I cannot stress enough my love for my fashion finds at STA and am thrilled they are getting the publicity they deserve by this new show... I just hope it doesn't drive up the prices!

So - highlights of the summer?
Lil Sis returning from Australia
Wedding planning (obvi)
Bravo!

No comments: