Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanks and Giving

Thanksgiving is pretty much my favorite holiday.
 
 
 
I love Christmas SEASON, but the day itself always goes too fast.  Its more that I enjoy the cheer and good tidings people wish for each other, and Christmas at an independent retail store is always so pleasant (kudos, Zinnia and Book Shop).
 
But I've been very lucky to grow up with an awesome family who do Thanksgiving the correct way, i.e.
Parents tricking children into thinking pre-meal turkey was snakeskin so they wouldn't have to share
Clearing the table without being allowed to stack the dishes
Corn made by Grammie (I've tried corn made by others.  Not the same).
Violin sing-a-longs and dance-a-longs
Playing Alice's Restaurant Massacre 345634348867 times in one day
Paying respects to our dearly departed in my aunt's minivan
Watching Mary Poppins, Annie, or the Sound of Music, or all three
Day-after hike to Castle Craig, followed by either the movies or the mall (madhouses, both of them!)
To name a few...

Now that I'm engaged, I share Thanksgiving with other families as well.  This year, we're spending Thursday in Boston with B and his bro.  The three of us are cooking what WE want to eat (roast beef and macaroni and cheese, please!)  Beforehand, B and I are seeing the new Muppet movie.  Love traditions.
 
So clearly, I have a lot to be thankful for.
B
B's brother, who is now my brother
My fab friends, local and not-so-local
A sister who is almost as enthusiastic about my wedding as I am
A job with co-workers who make me laugh on an hourly basis
The Hunger Games Trilogy
The Muppets, and Jason Segal for their comeback
Coffee
Rain boots
Cuddling
Orange juice
Green tea (new discovery)
Florence & the Machine
My future parents-in-law.  I'm serious, so many people complain about their in-laws, but I have great ones.
My own parents, and their support
The blogosphere, giving me an outlet to test my writing skills
Toenail polish
Joseph's Bakery in Southie
Our beach
Being on the third floor with skylights so we can really hear the rain
Close-knit families
Instant Oatmeal Packets
The ability to read
Pandora 
Hershey's Peppermint White Chocolate Kisses

I could keep going, but I just would end up listing everything I really enjoy



No comments: