Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Seriously???

Ok, far be it from me to judge the nuptials of others.  I'd totes go deaf to defend my gay friends' right to be wed.

But these two wedding themes take the cake in the "Most Politically Incorrect" category.


1. Depression-Era Hobo Wedding!
I get it.  You love the vintage feel of the 1930s.  You love the 'pull yourself up by the bootstraps and have a good time' ideals of those years gone by.  And in the current economic era, it does stand to reason that we all watch our spending a bit.
That being said, I think its a little insensitive to our grandparents and great-grandparents who actually lived through the Depression, and knew people who had to beg from door to door in order to feed families, who told stories of friends of friends who served wanderers ketchup and hot water for free and turned their back while the wanderer made tomato soup.

My co-worker asked me to please not  have this as my wedding reception theme.  That I can do.  After reacting, I said something like, "I think the only way to be less PC is to have a slavery-themed wedding."

Wish granted, apparently.

2. "Colonial-themed wedding" aka WHAT were they thinking?

Again, the fashion of the era looked beautiful.  I think the level of detail this bride and groom sought, with colonial-themed photo ops, travel trunks, and binoculars was awesome.

Then you take a look at the staff.  And the guests.  Every single guest was white.  Every single staff member was African.  And this was done completely on purpose.  And the wedding was in (wait for it folks) South Africa!  A nation with a rich history of racism and discrimination.  I'm still reeling from this one.
The original blog post was taken down (presumably because the bride and groom received an overwhelming number of negative comments.)

Again, I would not begrudge a bride her dream wedding, but when you involve a parody of poverty or racism, things start to get dicey.  Just sayin.

No comments: